Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Pin Cushion Tutorial

After I hosted a pin cushion swap I was asked to do a tutorial on the one that I made.....I have finally sat down and made a new one and thought to do pics as I went....below is the tutorial......Ruby this is for you.....

This pin cushion is made using a small jelly jar.....you can find these at just about any store.....I picked mine up at Wally World!:).....
Supplies List:
1 small jelly jar with ring lid not solid lid
fabric scraps x 2
circle template or bowl, saucer to trace
thread
scissors
stuffing
The first thing you do is cut out your circles for the yoyo's you will need one large and one small.....the small circle should be about five inches....the larger circle I just used a cereal bowl turned upside down and traced around it......the larger yoyo must be large enough to hold the stuffing and still pull tightly over the inner lid making a closed yoyo...

Next you sew up the yoyo...
It should look like this when finished......
 Now is the time to stuff the yoyo.......really simple....be very generous with the stuffing as you want a really nice lift when you put this together....do not be stingy!

 Be sure and hold the bottom of the fabric over the insert while stuffing or it will slide off......pack the stuffing really tight in there.....once you have your stuffing in close the yoyo around the seal.....pull tight and then sew it shut with a few stitches....next place the smaller yoyo that you have made on top and stitch it into place with a hidden applique stitch.....easy peasy.....press the small yoyo to lay flat....

Next you place the pin cushion into the ring....this takes a little bit of pushing but I promise it will go in there....once you have it pushed through go around and tug gently to bring it up through the ring....do this until you can leave the pin cushion in the ring without it falling out......your done! Easy peasy.....these are so fun to make....if you like you can embellish them.....
 This is the top.....I so love peacocks.......
 After a little embellishing.......
I would love to see yours if you make one using this tutorial......if you have any questions please email me and I will try and answer them as soon as possible....

Until next time,
Wendy

4 comments:

Ruby said...

Thanks Wendy!! Love the peacocks.

Cathy said...

Ruby sent me one she made that was so cute. We were in a mug rug swap together and she sent the pincushion as an extra bonus, bless her heart.

I wish I knew someone around here who sewed so I make these as gifts.

Cathy L

Anonymous said...

very good Wendy

nicoledemana crafts said...

I love this idea thanks for the wonderful blog I think you are one creative lady have a good day ttfn Nicole

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails